I think that learning to understand forgiveness was a key to my recovery. Here are some ideas.
- I gave forgiveness for my sake not for the person that had wounded me.
- If I held on to anger over a bad deed done to me I gave that person free rent in my mind.
- The act of hanging on to anger meant I necessarily committed my brain space for the unwise job of staying angry.
- Forgiveness allowed me to move on separated totally from the wounded person.
- In no sense was the misdeed Ok. The deed was clearly not OK with me.
- In no sense did forgiveness give the offending person the right to offend me again.
- I maintain the right to protect myself form repeat offenses.