I recently had a talk with some of my WA state family. I said “In all my 80 years of living my negative self talk has absolutely never once told me the truth” . However it has always come to me in the same voice that my healthiest voice. That is confusing to me. I can distinguish my healthy thinking from my thinking disease if I follow a few principles. They follow.
- My healthy voice is always space time real. For example my healthy voice might say “This morning you lied to Tom”. My disease says “You are a nothing but big dirty liar”.
- My diseased voice says attacks my character”. My healthy voice always comments on a specific instance of my behavior.
- My sick voice tends to make me feel hopeless. My healthy voice gives me specific way of healing like ” You may want to make amends to Tom or you could call your sponsor.
- My sick voice is usually pushie. My Healthy voice is very gentle.
- My sick voice demands an action of attack right now. My healthy voice says “when you are ready here is something you may want to do.